I do believe we’ve seen summer in the last week or so! HURRAY!!! To celebrate we created this Summer Kick Gin Cocktail recipe.
We’ve used the JJ Whitley Elderflower Gin that was in the July Gin Explorer box. The gin has been expertly crafted by Johnny Neill, an eighth generation master distiller who was inspired by English country gardens and hedgerows. You can read more in our gin-terview with him.
This Summer Kick is a crisp and refreshing creation using ingredients that you may already have knocking around in the fridge. Sweet, floral and sour; it is perfectly suited to hot summer weather and is redolent of the flavours of an English country garden.
- 50ml JJ Whitley Elderflower Gin
- 20 ml fresh lime juice (which is approx 2 limes worth of juice)
- 8 mint leaves
- 4 or 5 good sized slices of cucumber (you’ll need around an inch of cucumber in total)
- Ginger Beer
- In a tall glass, put in the cucumber and bash it about a little with a muddler (the back of a spoon will work equally as well).
- Add a few cubes of ice.
- Build the rest of the ingredients into the glass on top of the ice.
- Top with ginger beer to your desired strength.
- Get a deck-chair, a good book and a table. Sit back, sipping your Summer Kick and making the most of the sunshine!
If you’re feeling super fancy, try getting a thin slice from the cucumber lengthways (using a vegetable peeler) and placing it around the inside of the glass, before you add the ingredients, for a little ‘wow’ factor that will impress guests.
If you don’t have any elderflower gin to hand, you could adapt by using a traditional gin and adding a measure of elderflower cordial.
And remember: Look for the code in this month’s box to get 10% off a full bottle of JJ Whitley Elderflower Gin from www.ginfestival.com