Warm up on these cold February evenings with our valentine’s inspired boozy gin tomato soup recipe. Yes, of course, it just has to include gin!
Just like a flash, January was over and February is now upon us. February is the month of love and what better way to say “I love you” than to serve your loved one something yummy and warming in this rather chilly weather we’ve been experiencing. This simple soup is filling and also contains another of our loves…gin!!
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 sundried tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce – more or less depending on how spicy you want it!
- 50g pancetta
- 100g butter
- 60g mushrooms, sliced
- 80ml gin (black tomato gin would work great for this recipe!)
- 60ml cream
- salt and pepper
- Quickly fry off the sundried tomatoes and garlic in a pan using some of the oil that the tomatoes were in
- Combine the pan contents with the chopped tomatoes, thyme, paprika, sugar and Tabasco in a blender and whiz up until smooth
- Meanwhile, in the same pan, cook the pancetta until crisp and then decant onto paper towels – be sure to leave some of the lovely rich oil in the pan
- Melt butter, add mushrooms and sauté until golden
- Add the gin and the pancetta, stir, add tomato sauce and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add cream, season with salt and pepper and serve